Amusing Chinese New Year Art Installation at The Mills
Showcasing sustainable ways to celebrate Chinese New Year with Swire Coca-Cola HK
The innovative Chinese New Year installation features over five-hundred iconic Coca-Cola® crates and returnable glass bottles arranged as a giant maze leading visitors to a stunning peach blossom tree in the centre where they can make New Year wishes and take some memorable photos.
The Swire Coca-Cola HK Pop-Up Store last year marked the first collaboration between The Mills and Swire Coca-Cola HK – two companies which are both deeply rooted in Hong Kong and have helped to spread joy and warm memories among the public.
In 2021, the two beloved companies will present a giant red maze that will encourage visitors to enter and find their way to the 12-meter-tall peach blossom tree in the centre to make a wish for good fortune, happiness, and health. The installation was designed by The Mills to prompt a modern reimagination of a traditional Chinese New Year with a mix of nostalgia, traditional aesthetics and upcycling to make the year of the Ox a truly auspicious and meaningful one for visitors. During the Chinese New Year period, The Mills will hold a prize game at the official Instagram platform. While every participant will be given a gift, The Mills will pick five lucky ones a special gift. Please stay tuned to The Mills official social media platform for the announcement.
Once you have uploaded photos to Instagram with the hashtag #TheMillsCNY2021 and location pinned @themillshk, it is assumed that you have read, understood and agreed with the following terms and conditions:
The Competition opens for Hong Kong citizen aged 18 or above (participant)
The Competition will be ended on 28 Feb 2021 11:59PM, all participants has to upload photos to Instagram with the hashtag #TheMillsCNY2021 and location pinned @themillshk before the stated end time. All posting time will be judged according to the time stamp recorded by the platform.
- Upon submission of the comment, participants confirm that the s/he owned the copyright of the piece and any individuals or intellectual properties that have appeared in the comment box, and have consented and agreed to permit the participants to providing the images and personal information to The Mills Hong Kong and that The Mills Hong Kong may use the images and personal information for the purpose of this Contest. The Mills Hong Kong shall not be responsible for any liability arising from claims or suits of third parties, including costs and expenses incidental thereto, in connection with the use of the participants’ comments.
- Submitted comments must not contain content that related to obscene, defamation, racist, discrimination or in any other manner unlawful, The Mills Hong Kong has the right to disqualify the submission without prior notice.
- Upon the end of the competition, The Mills Hong Kong will select 5 most creatively elaborating the theme of 【The mills coca-cola® Instagrammable】 as winners.
- Each winner will be awarded with:
– A Coca-Cola® crate
– 24 glass bottles of Coca-Cola®
- The prize is non-transferable and non-refundable.
- Participants can submit more than 1 instagram photo but each participant will be awarded once only.
- Upon submission, participants shall agree to allow The Mills Hong Kong to have the right in using the comment for any event related promotion. Participants Instagram account will be mentioned as credit.
- The Mills Hong Kong will contact winners through Instagram inbox with the official account (themillshk) to obtain information for prize delivery. Winners must reply in full details within 5 working days or will be consider as forfeiting the prize.
- The Mills Hong Kong shall not be responsible for any loss of data or delay in data transmission due to any cause which is not under The Mills Hong Kong reasonable control, including but not limited to a breakdown or failure of communication facilities or any interruption, delay, corruption or interception of such communication.
- In case of any dispute, The Mills Hong Kong reserved the right to make the final decision.
Local craftmanship and upcycled materials
OrangeTerry collected junk and unwanted wooden pieces from local workshops, and transformed them into a series of traditional Chinese New Year decorative hanging ornaments and vases using silk screen printing techniques that reveal unique textures and capture the beauty of nature.
The Mills is devoted to bringing the concept of sustainability deeper into the community through local craftmanship. In this regard, the key consideration during the creative process is to achieve greater longevity for the upcycled materials and give a second life to the handmade decorations.
Previously, the OrangeTerry Christmas tree was repurposed into more than forty wooden stools to raise funds for the community at a later stage. This time, OrangeTerry will transform some of the hanging decorative items into eight pairs of wooden Chinese candy trays. The design pays tribute to traditional Chinese craftsmanship and adds another sustainable element to the community.
CNY and Valentine’s Day sweetened offers
In February, visitors can enjoy a range of offers to celebrate New Year and Valentine’s Day at The Mills Shopfloor. For details, please refer to the The Mills social media platform.
Festive gift redemption
The Mills has designed a set of creative stickers to share festive greetings. Visitors who spend over $500 at The Mills at any time between 10am and 10pm on any day from now until 28 February can redeem a set of the stickers by presenting the same day receipts for the items they purchase (maximum two). The number of sets is limited and only available while stocks last. Terms and conditions apply.